What are the minimum system requirements of the course?
Windows 98/ME operating system:
- Pentium III 600 MHz Processor
- 128 MB of RAM
Windows 2000/ XP operating system:
- Pentium III 1 GHz Processor
- 256MB of RAM
- 100MB of hard disk space
- Display settings – 800x 600 resolution at thousands of colours (1024 x 768 resolution recommended)
- 16- bit sound card
- Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher
- Speakers or headphones
The program requires a TCP/ IP protocol installed in MS Windows system. If your computer does not have a network card, you must install a Dial-up card together with TCP/IP protocol (in MS Windows 9x operating systems or Microsoft Loopback card (in MS Windows 2000/XP operating systems.)
My speech analysis function does not work. Why?
Your system may not be set up to run the speech analysis function. Please right click here and save as
to download and install a patch to fix this. Note: This is a 16MB file. We recommend that you SAVE this file first before running it.
My microphone is plugged in but I cannot record anything. The speech recognition system does not respond to my voice
Make sure that the microphone in Windows sound mixer is on and not mute.
The speech recognition system does not recognize my utterance
Make sure that the microphone level is set properly. For the sound recognition system to work properly, the microphone level indicator should be set within the range of the upper part of the scale.
The sound is inaudible. What should I do?
There are a few possible reasons for the lack of sound. It is best to check the following things:
- Are the speakers plugged in and turned on?
- Is the Windows sound mixer on?
- Are the volume levels in Windows sound mixer and speakers properly set?
- Is there another program, which may stop the sound drivers, running?
I cannot see the full screen of the course e.g. the Next and previous arrows are not visible. What should I do?
To make the arrows visible, you have to switch your screen resolution to 1024×768. It is possible to use the program at 800×600 resolution but the arrows are not visible then. To move to the next lesson, you have to return to the table of contents.
Error message 1: You are already logged in. If you continue, your previous session will end.
Possible reasons and solutions:
- You did not log out properly. Please log out properly. Do not close the window.
- Your password is being used by someone else. Please change your password.
- There is no multiple log in allowed i.e. the same username and password cannot be used to accessthe system at the same time. Do not share your username.
- Continue to log-in. You will be directed to the last page that you have saved.
- Now you can continue your lesson.
Error message 2: Session has been terminated by other user or teacher
Possible reasons and solutions:
- You did not log out properly
- You left browser idle for more than 1200 seconds (20 minutes)
- You left the flash interactive activity for more than 120 seconds (2 minutes)
- You need to start over.
Error message 3:Lesson State has NOT been saved
Possible reasons and solutions:
- The Internet connection was lost while trying to save
- User log in is being shared while trying to save
- Click “Back”. Save your work regularly.
How much time do I need to complete a single level of the 24/7 English course?
Each level of the course equals about 150hours of learning. If we assume that a student spends 4 hours a week learning, then one level of the course can be completed in 9-10months.
Which system of learning English using 24/7 English is the most effective?
There is no single universal way of learning, therefore the 24/7 English course provides for two methods of individual learning:
- Learning according to a pre-planned scheme, identical for everyone: lesson by lesson (just like a regular language course)
- Individual learning defined by a user, who chooses the topics and issues of interest using the lesson editor. It is worth experimenting with the methods and choosing the most suitable.
Are the course books, on which the course was created, included?
All the materials included in the book version of the course were used to create the multi-media version. The course is accompanied by the User’s Manual which describes the possibilities of using the program, and all the options available in it.
Where can I buy the course books on which the course was based?
Language in Use course books is available in language bookshops.
What age group is the course aimed at?
The course is aimed at teenagers and adults
I scored 100% in all the tasks in the course. What should I do next?
We encourage you to visit the course website HERE which contains additional materials and links to other recommended websites. There you can test your skills in new games and try to beat the scores of other players. You may also consider buying other courses from our offer, e.g. Business English.
I have noticed that some words e.g color, theater, center are spelt colour, theatre, centre, Is this a mistake?
Spelling of some words, such as colour theatre, center is different in American and British English. In 24/7 English we use the British English spelling.
The course will not install. What should I do?
Please contact out Technical Support Department: firstname.lastname@example.org
The course is too difficult for me. What can I do?
The course enables you to create your own lessons containing the custom pages. To create your own lesson, you may select the issues of your personal interest which are suitable for your level of English.
The course is too easy for me. What should I do?
The course enables you to create your own lessons containing the custom pages. To create you own lesson you may, for example, choose to include the more difficult issues only.
How do the levels of the course compare to the IELTS exam?
Unlike PET, KET or FCE exams, the IELTS exam is not assigned to a single level of English, but it determines the level of the person taking the exam. Each level of 24/7 English can account for the following IELTS scores:
- Beginner 3.0
- Pre-intermediate 4.0
- Intermediate 5.0
I have been learning English for a year. How do I check which level of the 24/7 English course I should start with?
In order to choose the right level of the course, you need to take the Placement test. You can find it on every CD or DVD accompanying the course or at the course website: Placement test.
How can I practice my pronunciation using the course?
The speech recognition system is a useful tool for practicing your pronunciation. After recording your own speech, you may check the score given to you by the system and compare your recording with the one made by British speaker.